Our work started thanks to a grant provided through the US State Department through the Alumni Engagement Innovation Fund (AEIF). Our proposal participated through 2500 proposals world wide and was selected among the favored 50! Thanks to this in 2014, HELTA started its work in Honduras. We have been growing strong ever since training over 3,000 teachers and bringing more than 60 International speakers during annual and regional events.
We have reached several milestones since 2014:
- Reactivated TESOL International Association Affiliation in 2016.
- For the first time a Honduran English Teacher Association became associated with IATEFL in 2017.
- Became part of the YLAI Network to create incentives for teacherpreneurs.
- Hosted the first TESOL International Academy in 2018.
- Hosted the Regional TESOL Group Biennial Conference for the second time in 2018.
- Brought close to 30 Latin American presenters representing 15+ Latin American countries and 15 from other countries in the world.
- Represented the Association in several affiliate conferences such as Peru TESOL, Nicaragua TESOL, and Panama TESOL, as well as in TESOL International Association and IATEFL.
- Participated as representatives for Honduras in the TESOL Summit in Greece.
- Organized during the 3rd Annual Conference in El Progreso the HELTA TESOL Mini Summit.
- Laid the foundation for uniting Latin America as the Latin America TESOL Group.
- Attained EVE Purple and Green Badges for our 4th Annual Convention, TESOL Academy and 5th Annual Convention.
- Our Founder, Ms. Mendoza, received the Victoria French Allen Award for Scholarship and Service.
- Our Founder, Ms Mendoza, became member of the TESOL Board.
- Have established a working relationship with the Ministry of Education in Honduras.